Beauty blog run by a make up and nail art fanatic.

Sunday 3 May 2015

Starting A Blog | Tips & Advice

Hello Everyone!
Happy Sunday to you!
I had to work today (boo), I have tomorrow off though (woo!)
Today I thought I'd share with you my thoughts, tips and advice for starting a blog.
Maybe it's something you've been thinking about but don't know where to start.
That's why I'm here to help!


Anyone can blog.

If you're passionate about something, you can blog about it.
My first bit of advice is to research all the different blogging platforms, e.g. Weebly, Blogger, Wordpress, and see what they have to offer and what you're looking for.

I use Weebly, which I really like and think is perfect for beginners, but I've been blogging for a year and a half now and there are features I want that Weebly just doesn't offer. Things like 'related content' widgets and things that would really improve my blog and make it more user friendly. At some point I'll probably look into changing platforms unless Weebly up their game *cough* hint hint Weebly *cough*.

Plan ahead.

Blogging is so much easier if you've planned ahead. You don't even need a detailed plan, just jot down a few ideas that you could write confidently about so that when it comes to actually writing and posting, you're not sat there staring blankly at a screen.
Maybe set a schedule for when you want to post, I do my 5 Things Friday mini post on Fridays and my regular blog post on Sundays. That way, I know when I need to have an idea by, and when to have the photos sorted. It also means your readers know when to return to read more of your fabulous content!

Don't try to do everything on the day.

Unless you have endless amounts of free time. Like I said, plan ahead and then take a day to take photos for that blog post. Then find time to pick your best photos and edit them if you feel like it. That way when it comes to putting the post together, you've only got to write it and drop in the photos. I work 30 hours a week so this makes blogging much more manageable.

Use photos.

Photos break up a lot of text and make everything look pretty. It also means you can post a select photo or two to post to Instagram and Twitter etc.
Make your photos large. No one wants to have to squint at a tiny photo.
Write about what makes you happy.

Make sure you're writing for yourself, that way you'll look forward to blogging and feel more proud of what you've written. There's a niche for everything, so no matter what you write about, you'll find your audience.
Blogging should be fun, after all.

Don't do it just to be popular.

Sure it'd be nice to have a huge following and be the next Zoella, but that shouldn't be why you start a blog. There's no guarantee that you'll soar to the top (although there's nothing stopping you either!).
Do it to make yourself proud and to get what you set out to achieve. For me, it was to boost my confidence, and find myself again. I'd had a rough year and decided that it was time to do something very different to bring me out of my shell.

Join lots of social networks.

The more social networks you're with, the more exposure your blog can get.
Once I've posted my blog post, I tweet about it, Instagram it, Pin it (all linked at the top of my blog!) and even post it on my tumblr. I'm also on bloglovin which I love, because you can see everyone you follow's latest blog posts in one place, rather than having to go to their individual blogs. I seriously suggest joining it.

If you'd like, you can follow me on bloglovin here.

I have a Facebook but I don't post on there purely because I don't want to plague my family with it, and I'm friends with lots of people from school and work, most of whom I just don't want to know about this blog!
Certain 'friends' left nasty comments as 'a joke' when I started out, and I just don't want to encourage that sort of behaviour!

Lastly, just DO IT.

Just join a blogging platform and start tapping away.
No one's first few posts are good. That's not to say they're bad, just that you're still working on your style and finding out how to do this blogging thing.
You improve with practice, as you would with anything.
Also, you won't be proud of everything you write. I have a handful of posts that I hate but then I have lots of posts that I worked really hard on and am really proud of.
Just have fun.

Where these tips useful?
Leave me a comment!

Thanks for reading, don't forget that the survey is still in the sidebar of my blog!

Speak to you on Friday,
Abi xxx
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig