Beauty blog run by a make up and nail art fanatic.

Sunday 8 September 2013

Colour Block Nail Art Tutorial

Hello everyone! 
Welcome back to my blog! It's been a week since I started this blog so I thought now would be a good time to give it some content. How about a nail tutorial? I've never done one before because usually I just do them messily, clean them up, take a snap and whack it on instagram! so I thought it would be fun to try it out, let me know what you think of them :) and check out my nail instagram for more fun ideas! 






These are the polishes I used, from left to right they are:
  • "2 in 1 Strengthener and Hardener" from Collection (used as a base coat and a top coat)
  • "Dragon Fruit" from the Barry M Gelly Shine collection (I'm a huge fan of Barry M!)
  • "Fuchsia" from Barry M
  • "Plum Noir" from MUA (Make Up Academy)
  • "Deepest Purple" from MUA 
I also used this masking tape, but striping tape or scotch tape etc would be fine! 


I started off by painting my nails with the strengthening basecoat and then a couple of coats of the Dragon Fruit polish
Then using the masking tape, I sectioned off a small 'block' of colour to paint over with the Fuchsia polish


Paint over the gap and then before it dries, carefully peel off the tape and you should get clean lines (unlike me because I am impatient!)


Then fill in the gap at the end of the nail with the Plum Noir (or what other colour you have chosen, personally I like the block gradient look) 
If your nails are long enough for a fourth colour, use another bit of tape to block off the end and then carefully fill in the gap with the same colour


Once you pull the tape off you'll be left with the little gap, I filled this in with the Deepest Purple colour
Don't worry if they're a bit messy, you can always clean up afterwards with a cotton bud dipped in nail varnish remover
If the lines are a bit dodgy (like mine!) you can always paint over them, but it's not crucial because you'll be outlining them which will hide it anyway! 


Once you've filled in all the gaps, you should have something similar...
I then used a top coat to smooth the design out a bit.


Then using this Nail Art Pen from Barry M (which I bought today and was surprised at how easy it is to use and how well it works) outline the colour blocks. Topcoat it and you're done! 
Wasn't too hard was it?

Sorry that this post was a bit photo heavy but I think photo's make it easier! Hope you liked the design, be sure to check out the photo on instagram and to leave me a comment! 

Talk to you next week, Abi xx

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig